Q: While driving, the gears downshift and the car will not go into reverse.

While driving gears downshifted to lower gear, when manually placed in 1st & 2nd gear, gears will not shift up and no reverse. Shift lever on steering column will not go into correct position on parking indicator. Can not put in to the park position. Drained trans fluid after this, some small metal shavings in fluid seen and replaced fluid but no help. Checking underneath bolts and connections around pan and experienced shift lever on steering column while in park, fall down freely down lowest position and was able to manually move lever back up to park.

Hello, thanks for writing in. Your description suggests that the transmission linkage is not correctly aligned, or is not staying in a correctly aligned position, from the steering column to the transmission itself. This is all external to the transmission itself. I would recommend having a shifting issue inspection completed by a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who can diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and a cost estimate for repairs.

3. While driving, the gears downshift and the car will not go into reverse.