Q: Where do I add Bars leak head seal head gasket repair in a 2001 pt cruiser? Do I add it to the coolant recovery contanier?

asked by on February 14, 2018

White smoke, missing coolant, no leaks, overheats after driving for 20-30 minutes. Want to know where I add the Bars Leak. Do I add it to the coolant recovery container?

YourMechanic professionals, who have your best interests at heart, can only give advice based primarily on the published repair instructions provided by the manufacturer of the vehicle. In your circumstance, if coolant is leaking (internally), due to a fault in the head gasket, the repair procedure sanctioned by Chrysler requires removal and replacement of the head gasket along with performance of related required work that might arise if the head and block gasket sealing surfaces are not flat within typically around .002 inches. Other inspections are required in the course of that work. Based on anecdotal reports of consumers who have used the product you are referring to, the product has the potential to contaminate the cooling system and plug cooling system components such as the heater core or radiator, not to mention the reality that in many cases the product just simply does not work or, at the very best, represents a temporary solution. Prompted by your inquiry, and to give you as comprehensive a response as possible, a few moments ago I reviewed the published advertising claims of Bar’s. The claims are exaggerated and unsubstantiated and that circumstance alone should make you suspicious as to the wisdom of implementing this unapproved "repair" technique. Head gasket repair is a significant undertaking that requires careful adherence to the instructions (and often updates in Technical Service Bulletins). Be careful who you have do the work; ask lots of questions. If you don’t get lots of indulgent responses, keep looking as Mechanics who do a good job love to answer your questions. YourMechanic professionals in some jurisdictions can perform this repair. Please simply request service based on your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the BEST possible, professional results.