Q: My car always smells like gas fuel. What can be the issue?

asked by on November 21, 2017

My car constantly smells like gas fuel. I just bought the car about a month ago from carmax and had got it checked out by them because my brake light kept coming on. The mechanic said that they checked for any other issues just to be safe. Not sure if they overlooked anything or just didn't look at all

What can possibly be the issue?

Fuel is leaking from gas tank Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

There should be no detectable odor of gasoline from your car (apart from when you are refueling). If you are detecting a fuel odor that means there is either a leak or the air fuel ratio is very far off (too much fuel relative to amount of air) but that latter circumstance should cause the check engine light to turn on. Leaking gasoline (vapor or liquid) is a fire/explosion hazard so be sure to have this problem repaired at your earliest convenience. In the meantime, be sure not to park in a confined space, such as a garage, because gasoline vapors could accumulate and explode if there is an ignition source. Undercar fuel leaks are often caused by corroded, perforated steel tubing, joint leaks at the fuel filter, or rubber hose connections. Sometimes fuel pipes can get damaged by collisions with debris on the roadway. Whether the leak is in the steel supply and return lines, rubber hoses, or even the gas tank, it will be repairable. If you desire a repair of the leak by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a fuel leak inspection and diagnostic - tubing and tank and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr