Q: 95 3000gt gets hot while accelerating but not during idle. Also doesn't reach the red line, but stays a notch or two below.

asked by on April 26, 2017

Vehicle overheats while accelerating, but stays level during idle. Replaced thermostat, but it still gets hot. It never gets to the red line, but a notch or two below. Can't figure out why it's getting hot.

There is inadequate coolant flow or, less likely, a leak at the head gasket. Remote possibilities include dragging brakes, under inflated tires, and transmission faults. Inadequate coolant flow can be due to a low coolant level, a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket or poor engine running condition can also cause overheating. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.