Q: When should the seat belts be replaced?

asked by on December 14, 2015

When should the seat belts be replaced?

The seat belts in your car are designed to last for the life of the vehicle, but if you are involved in an accident, they’ll need to be replaced if the pretensioner was activated. Pretensioners are one-time use equipment. Once they’re used, they will not deploy again. You will need to have your seat belts replaced after any accident in which the pretensioners were activated. Have the car inspected after an accident to determine if you need to replace your belts or now.

Tip

Not replacing your belts after the pretensioners have been deployed makes it more likely that you and your passengers will be injured in an accident.