Q: when shifting from gear to gear it barely catches so the rpms race high un til i let off gas and let car gradually go

same as above

Wow, manual transmission Volvo’s are really hard to find. It sounds like you have a slipping clutch. This is pretty normal behavior for a worn out clutch, and with 170,000 miles, it’s due for it. I would suggest having the clutch diagnosed and replaced if necessary by a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

• when shifting from gear to gear it barely catches so the rpms race high un til i let off gas and let car gradually go