Q: What would cause my SUV start but not run right with a load?

It will start an run but as soon as you put it in gear it runs like crap?

Hi Michael. Thanks for contacting us today. Anytime you add a "load" to an engine by placing it in gear, minor glitches tend to be accelerated. For example, dirty fuel injectors, mass air flow sensor, EGR valve or even a throttle body clogged with excessive carbon deposits can produce poor engine performance while in gear. In other cases the issue is internal with the transmission, with clogged hydraulic lines, leaking seals or even a worn out torque converter causing the engine to drag more than it should. In cases like you’ve described, an on-site inspection from a professional mechanic is recommended.