Q: What tips should be followed when driving with a trailer?

What tips should be followed when driving with a trailer?

A: If you intend to drive while towing a trail...

If you intend to drive while towing a trailer, you need to observe several important tips. It’s very different from driving without a trailer attached, and not following safety requirements can put you, your passengers and other people on the road in danger. Here’s what you need to know:

1. The trailer should be kept properly maintained.

2. Never exceed the load limit of your car.

3. Make sure that the hitch and both safety chains are attached before you start driving.

4. Make sure that all lights work (on your car and on the trailer).

5. Make sure that the tire pressure is correct on your car and the trailer.

6. Drive slower than you would without the trailer.

7. Turn a wider arc when turning the car.

8. Stop sooner – the weight of the trailer will make it harder to stop the car.

9. Be easy on the brakes, as the additional weight of the trailer can heat them up quickly.

10. Use D3 if you’ll be towing a trailer through a hilly area.