Q: What should I know about driving while towing a trailer?

What should I know about driving while towing a trailer?

A: Towing a trailer while driving means that y...

Towing a trailer while driving means that you have a lot of additional things to worry about. You have a lot of extra length, your turns need to be wider, you have to make sure that the lane is clear for a good distance back before getting over… the list goes on. Here’s an introduction to what you should know about driving with a trailer in your SUV.

• Don’t exceed 70 MPH with your trailer attached for the first 500 miles (towing miles on your specific engine).

• Don’t leave your vehicle’s speed control system on. Turn it off completely.

• Make sure to use the grade assist feature when climbing steep hills.

• Slow down and stop more slowly. Plan for extra time.

• Put the transmission in park (automatic) or neutral (stick shift) when you’re stopped in traffic to help cool the transmission down from towing a load.

• Don’t overuse your brakes as they could overheat and not work as well. Use the lower gears in your transmission for engine braking.