Q: Q: Evaporative Emissions Control

when I excelerate about 45-60miles per hour it sounds like a whistles like a plane taking off and also when i decelerate sounds like a plane landing the same whistling it idols just under 1000rpm does not over heat. has maintenance light on.engine sounds really rough. The smell of hot humid water when I use my defroster. I checked all fluids. They r good. Then today after getting gas. It acted like it didnt want to start wanted to stall.It all started 3 days ago. Please help. A.S.A.P. thank you. Female traveling the u.s.

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a couple of separate issues going on here. The hot humid water smell indicates you may have a leaking heater core. The [heater core]((https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/heater-is-not-working-inspection) is a small radiator like unit that circulates the hot coolant from the engine through the heater core which then uses this warm coolant to heat the inside of the car with the help of the blower motor that blows the warm air through the vents inside the car. The other possibility is that the thermostat may not be allowing the engine to reach a normal operating temperature and since the engine’s warm coolant is the essential source of the heater core supplying heat to the inside of the vehicle, this can impact the warmth of the heat inside the vehicle.

The stalling after refueling typically indicates that you may have a problem with your evaporative emissions control system. Your car has a small purge valve with a purge solenoid in the Evaporative Emissions system that controls the venting of fumes from the fuel tank as these fumes build up inside, particularly when you are refueling the car with gas. The EVAP system prevents fuel vapors from the fuel tank from escaping into the atmosphere. The EVAP system collects and temporarily stores the fuel vapors in the charcoal canister. The charcoal canister is filled with activated carbon pellets that can absorb the fuel vapors. When the engine is running, the fuel vapors are purged from the canister and burned in the engine. The vent control valve (solenoid) controls the flow of outside air in and out of the charcoal canister. The vent valve is controlled by the engine computer (PCM). Normally the vent valve is open. It closes when the engine computer tests the EVAP system for leaks. If a leak in the EVAP system is detected, the Check Engine light will illuminate on the dash and the trouble code related to the problem will be stored in the engine computer. When an air leak is present in the EVAP system, the MAP sensor will not be able to determine the air density, and the MAF sensor will not be able to determine the volume of air, entering the engine correctly. This will lead to an over fueling situation or an under fueling situation depending on the size of the air leak and engine operating speeds and load. This may eventually lead to catalytic converter problems as well as misfiring problems. I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Q: Evaporative Emissions Control