Q: What are the ignition switch positions?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What are the ignition switch positions?

If your car is equipped with a standard ignition and a mechanical key/remote combination, you have several different ignition switch positions that you’ll need to know (smart key systems have one less ignition switch position). Here’s an overview of each ignition position:

• Lock: This is the off position. No accessories work, and you can take the key out of the ignition. The steering wheel can also be locked.

• Accessory: In accessory mode, you can listen to the radio, as well as use some other electronics. The key cannot be removed from the ignition.

• On: This turns on all of your electronics. The key cannot be removed. The key will also default to this position after you crank the engine.

• Start: Turn the key to this position to crank the engine. Let go of the key as soon as the engine starts. Holding the key in start after the engine is running can damage the starter.