Q: What's is causing a bump in my steering wheel, worst when slowing down but not braking

There's a bumping I feel in my steering wheel. Very consistent not rapid. It happens mostly while slowing down. Turning has nothing to do with it. It doesn't happen at all on acceleration. It's almost like there's a gap in the teeth (broken tooth) of one gear and it's hitting as it turns. But doesn't always happen and it happens at about one second apart when it's doing it. It's not the brakes to consistent of a knock. Isn't caused by turning. Doesn't happen at all while accelerating. And braking doesn't make it go away.

A: Hello and thank you for contacting YourMech...

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. Check the condition of the tires on the front to make sure that they are not cupped. If the tires are cupped, you will need to replace the tires and check the shocks. If the tires are not cupped, then raise up the vehicle and check the wheel bearings. A wheel bearing that is damaged is dry on grease can cause a vibration when under a load. If you need assistance with your vehicle, a certified professional, such as one from YourMechanic, can diagnose the bumping symptom you are experiencing in your steering wheel.