I believe my serpentine belt is split, do I need to repla...

Q: I believe my serpentine belt is split, do I need to replace my alternator if it won't crank?

asked by on August 24, 2017

I recently had a tune up on a ford escape, now I believe my serpentine belt is split. Does that mean I need a new alternator? It feels like the engine is locked up (I could be wrong) and it won't crank. I have a daughter leaving for the army in two weeks. Please help

If your serpentine drive belt broke or is damaged then you will need to find out if one or of your accessories are seized or damaged. If engine does not turn over then you may have a dead battery from belt not turning the alternator to recharge battery. In order to do a complete diagnosis I would recommend having a mechanic like one from YourMechanic come to you and check the vehicle for you.