Q: What precautions should I follow with the spare tire?

What precautions should I follow with the spare tire?

Your compact spare tire is essential – all it takes is one nail on the road to puncture a tire, and you’ll need a way to get going once more. The spare tire does just that. However, you’ll need to follow a few precautions for safety here:

• Check the spare’s air pressure when you check the other four tires (once per month).

• Don’t use tire chains with a spare tire.

• Do not drive faster than 50 MPH.

• Never swap your spare onto another car unless it’s the same model.

• Use caution when driving with the spare – the traction and handling are different than with your normal tires.

• Your Low Tire Pressure light will come on after mounting the spare, and then go off. The TPMS light will then come on and stay on until you mount the regular wheel again.

Tip

Your spare is designed only for temporary use. Do not drive on it any longer than absolutely necessary.

3. What precautions should I follow with the spare tire?