Q: Changed battery, battery arced, now car is stuck in park.

I was changing the battery on my car. I never noticed that the posts were the opposite on my new battery and when tried hooking up it arced badly. I changed the 150 amp fuse as well as the brake light switch but I still cannot get the car to go from park to drive without using a screwdriver on the manual switch to change it into gear. Not sure what else to do?

Hi Jeff. Thanks for contacting us today. An arching battery can cause a lot of different electrical problems. Sometimes, the shift solenoid can cause the shifting issues you’re describing, while in other instances, it’s a mechanical problem. I think the best advice I can offer is to have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete a hard to shift inspection, so they can determine what is causing this issue and recommend the right repairs.

3. Changed battery, battery arced, now car is stuck in park.