Q: What precautions should be taken when wearing a seatbelt?

What precautions should be taken when wearing a seatbelt?

Seat belts save lives, but they must be worn correctly in order to do that. Understanding the precautions involved with correct seat belt use will help ensure your safety and that of your passengers. Here’s what you should know:

1. Never recline the passenger seat while riding. Keep it upright so that the shoulder belt can work properly. Otherwise, you or your passenger may be thrown from the seat in the event of a collision.

2. Always sit as far back in the seat as possible, as this ensures that you have the most protection during an accident.

3. Only lean the seat back far enough to be comfortable. Fully reclining while riding in a moving vehicle increases the chance that you’ll slide underneath the lap belt during an accident.

4. Always ensure that the shoulder belt fits over your chest and shoulder, never under your arm or behind your back.