Q: What is the problem when I'm driving in a parking lot and my 98 Buick Century limited is stopping on breaks if on the gas ?

When I'm in a parking lot about to take off and my car make a sound as if I hit the breaks really hard and I don't have my foot on the break

Hello. Thank you for writing in. When the vehicle struggles to accelerate or keep at a steady pace in a parking lot, are you turning at the time? If this is the case, the vehicle is struggling to assist you with steering, and it has nothing to do with the brakes at all. Without the assistance of power steering you can continue to steer, it just becomes very, very hard. This will feel as if the brakes are being applied. In this situation you will need to inspect the power steering pump and system. If you are not turning when this is happening, you may be facing a throttle issue or a brake issue. The brakes should not be applying by themselves, but they can feel like they are and its referred to as a sticking brake. The throttle can also rob the engine of airflow which will kill the engine and cause deceleration. The first step is to determine what is actually happening that is slowing down the car. From there you can diagnose what has failed causing your symptoms.

3. What is the problem when I'm driving in a parking lot and my 98 Buick Century limited is stopping on breaks if on the gas ?