Q: What is the most common belt pulley bearing to fail?

Recently purchased used vehicle; ticking noise from right front of engine near serpentine belt/pulleys. Does not seem to be coming from the engine block/valve covers. Will it help to spray on white lithium grease to help lube it until my scheduled shop appointment next Monday?

Hello. In most cases, a worn or faulty bearing will produce a grinding or high-pitched whine. However, if you believe that a bearing may be the cause of your problem, then it is likely a bearing in one of the components on that side of the engine. My diagrams indicate that the alternator and tensioner are on the right side of the engine. It may be possible that the bearings in one of these components has failed and needs to be replaced. You can spray some lube on the bearing, but it will only help if the lube makes it into the bearing itself; otherwise, it may just cause the belt to slip on the pulley. If the noise is very loud, or has gotten worse over time, then I would refrain from driving the vehicle until you can get it serviced, as the bearing could possibly separate. I would recommend having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, take a look at your vehicle to properly diagnose the noise coming from your car.

3. What is the most common belt pulley bearing to fail?