Q: I'm planning on buying an 1987 dodge truck as a first vehicle but I'd like to know what are the first things I should replace?

asked by on June 20, 2017

I've been saving up for a first vehicle and I've found a 1987 Dodge pick up that I intend to use as a daily driver. What are some things that I should have replace to get prepare the truck for daily use. It runs and drives fine but are there any parts like the alternator or carburator to increase performance and decrease the chance of me being left on the side of the road with a vehicle that wont move? I'd like to put aftermarket speakers and radio in the truck but im afraid it might drain the battery , is there any way to prevent this? And finally , there is one problem with the truck , it has a slight suspension problem, im not sure of the severity of it but the vehicle still runs and drives and for 700 bucks for an old pick up that sounds like a pretty good investment, I plan on bringing a mechanic to check it out but based off the info ive given, should I get the truck? I have enough knowledge to fix any non engine or transmission problems.Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Hello, thank you for writing in. 1987 truck’s by Dodge were enjoyed for decades. The truck you are looking at is going to need components specific to the condition the truck is in. If you have not already, obtain a list of repairs that have recently been done. The suspension issue you mention is worrying, as a lot of these truck’s were modified years ago and may need more expensive maintenance. This is going to need correction or clarification right away. Check the condition of the tires and brakes as those costs add up quickly. Modern audio systems can be installed without issues with the right modifications. Be careful to not put too much into the vehicle initially because components will need to be replaced on a truck that is 30 years old, and it is just a matter of time. Have a mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection and take it from there. Good Luck.