Q: Ticking noise coming from throttle body area.

For some time now when the engine gets warm a ticking noise occurs when accelerating. The sound sounds as if it's from the top of the engine toward the throttle body. When slowly accelerating at low rpm it begins to rattle. When it rattles if I give it gas it stops. The noise only occurs if I'm just revving, if the RPM is sitting at idle and I nudge the gas.

A: There are a lot of moving components that c...

There are a lot of moving components that could make that noise. Improper valves can make that noise but I feel like you may have a lifter that is partially plugged, preventing normal oil pressure from fully pumping out the lifter. Once you start to accelerate, there is more load put on the lifters as they try to move faster. If the oil flow is not sufficient, the lifter will not fully pump up and will cause the noise you hear.

Change the oil and make sure you use the exact oil viscosity rating specified for your vehicle. The thickness of the oil contributes to this problem. You may also want to use an internal engine cleaner that is added to the oil before the oil change. It may help clean those tiny oil passages that can cause slow oil flow to the lifters. If you want to have this looked at, a certified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the noise and help have this repaired.