Q: What is the latest year of starter motors can i put on.

I have a Ford F-350 that needs a starter. The regular starters wont turn quick enough. The newer ones i know are stronger, but am not sure if a newer year will start.

If you find the starter on your truck is not turning the starter fast enough after you put a new starter on, then you are having other problems. You will need to check the voltage drop by measuring it with a electronic volt meter from the positive battery post in the center with the red lead, and the negative lead to the positive post on the starter main cable. You should not have more than about .1 to .5 volts showing on the meter when someone tries to crank the starter.

If you see more than this, then remove and clean the battery terminals and try again. If the excessive voltage drop is still there, then replace the positive cable. Make sure you do the same test on the negative cable between major ground connections all the way to the engine. Any excessive voltage drop means the starter is not getting full voltage and will turn slower than it should. If you want to have the underlying issue verified before moving onto a starter replacement, have a technician from YourMechanic come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting issue for you to pinpoint what should be done.

3. What is the latest year of starter motors can i put on.