Q: What is the cause of 1st gear engaging problem (noise)? 1999 toyota Land Cruiser

The 1st gear engages but it gives loud grinding noise while trying to move the car. Sometimes the car starts to move but some times it does not.

Hello - there are several possible problem that could cause the transmission noises and occasional lack of motion created by engaging 1st gear. The clutch may have failed, both creating problems engaging 1st gear, or failing to lock up when released. It’s also possible that the input bearing, or a countershaft bearing in the transmission has worn out or failed. I would recommend a clutch and transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. What is the cause of 1st gear engaging problem (noise)? 1999 toyota Land Cruiser