Q: Fans not working properly and temperature gauge rising - 2004 Toyota Camry

My car started smoking when I was heading back home but my temp. gauge was normal. I got home, popped the hoop open and noticed my radiator was leaking. I got my radiator replaced, took air out the system and now my temp. gauge is rising. I got my thermostat replaced and it is still rising but now my fans are not working unless I turn on a/c. I had the fan switch replaced and nothing changes. Fans only work when a/c is on, temp. gauge rises and I dont know what to do now. What do you think the problem is?

Hello - there are still a couple of possible sources of this overheating. A weak water pump, or clogged (internally or externally) radiator may not be transferring enough heat out of the engine. Air pockets in the radiator where the fan switch mounts would cause the fan not to kick off as expected. It’s also possible with your mileage that you have a blown head gasket, which essentially "super-heats" the coolant, and the cooling system is just not capable of dispersing that much heat. I would recommend an inspection of the cooling system by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Fans not working properly and temperature gauge rising - 2004 Toyota Camry