Q: What is the break-in period?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What is the break-in period?

Like all other cars on the market, the Ford Fusion requires a break-in period when purchased new. This is a relatively short period during which you need to drive under certain conditions and avoid some types of behavior in order to ensure that the engine is properly broken in for a lifetime of use. Here’s what Ford recommends:

• The break-in period is roughly the first 1,000 miles.

• Avoid driving continuously at the same speed during this time – vary your speeds frequently.

• Don’t use things like “friction modifiers” or oil additives during this period, as Ford says they may prevent the piston rings from seating correctly.