Q: hi, im having a problem with my steering wheel it keeps on shaking when im like 55 to 60 mph I'vegot my wheels balance and a wheel

asked by on October 22, 2016

hi, im having a problem with my steering wheel it keeps on shaking when going like 55 to 60 mph I've got my wheels balance and a wheel alignment but the problem seem to continue happening. what could it be ?

If a tire is defective (belt separation, uneven wear, even design defects such as unusual or uneven stiffness) no amount of balancing will eliminate a vibration. So, among the first things to confirm is the condition of the tires (and wheels...wheels can get bent or have excessive runout). All of the other causes of the vibration you are describing are relatively limited: loose lug nuts, worn or inoperative shocks, defective drive shafts, loose tie rod ends and any other loose component in the front suspension including wheel bearings. There is always also a possibility of an issue with other components such as worn, loose or broken motor mounts which might transmit a vibration through the body including the steering wheel. All of the possibilities have to be systematically checked out.