Q: what is the aluminum block with pipes to the brake filler just above the air suspension compressor and do I have to remove it to r

I have a 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition and I want to replace the air suspension compressor. Can I do that without removing an aluminum block with brake lines to it that sits right on top of the air compressor?

Hello. We will be happy to assist you. It should not be necessary to remove the aluminum canister completely. You may have to move it to the side for clearance purposes but it should be able to stay attached to the vehicle. A technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to come and install the air compressor for you. You are able to find a technician and schedule an appointment here

https://www.yourmechanic.com

Here is an overlook of the factory instructions for replacing the Air compressor on your vehicle

WARNING: The electrical power to the air suspension system must be turned off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. Failure to do so can result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

Turn the air suspension service switch to the OFF position. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02. Remove the air cleaner. For additional information, refer to Section 303-12. Remove the air compressor drier cover. Remove the pushpins. Remove the air compressor drier cover.

Remove the canister pushpin and remove the canister.

Disconnect the air compressor. Compress the quick connect locking ring and pull out the air tube. Disconnect the air compressor electrical connector. Remove the 3 air compressor bracket nuts. To install, tighten to 7 Nm (62 lb-in). Remove the air compressor assembly. NOTE: To correctly reinstall the air tubes into the compressor drier, a minimum of 3 mm (1/8 in) of visible white tube must be inserted into the fitting.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

• what is the aluminum block with pipes to the brake filler just above the air suspension compressor and do I have to remove it to r