Q: What is making my engine knock?

Every time I start up my 2010 Chevrolet Silverado, there is a knock in the engine. The truck is only at 15,000 miles! I am very concerned, as the truck is very new and hasn’t missed an oil change or any scheduled maintenance. I need to fix this problem right away. Is this a common problem or is this truck a lemon?

The noise you are hearing is from the lack of lubrication of components inside your engine during initial start-up. The noise goes away as soon as oil gets to the components, however, every time the noise is heard there is engine wear and metal to metal contact. Have a certified mechanic from YourMechanic make sure you are using the proper oil filter for your engine. The original filter design has a check valve built inside it that holds oil after shut down, and prevents the oil from draining back into the oil pan. When you start up in morning the stored oil gets to bearings quickly and limits the starvation of oil on start-up in the morning. If you are using an oil filter that is not an approved design, then you can cause engine damage by starving the bearings on start up. You can then have YourMechanic check your oil pressure during start up for possible internal engine leaking of bearings or components. My recommendation would be to have YourMechanic service your truck by using full synthetic oil and a factory authorized filter and do an oil pressure check on your truck.