Q: What factors affect radio station reception?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What factors affect radio station reception?

Anyone who’s ever used a radio in their life knows that reception can sometimes be a tricky thing. Here are the factors that affect the reception in your car:

• Distance: The farther you are from the radio station physically, the less strength the signal has. This translates to reduced sound quality. The closer you get to the transmitter station, the stronger the signal will be and the better your sound quality will be.

• Physical Obstructions: Driving in an area with physical obstructions will play a role in radio reception (including SIRIUS radio). Hills, valleys, tall buildings, tunnels and many other obstacles can block or weaken radio signals.

• Overload: Proximity isn’t always the best thing. If you’re too near the radio station transmitter, the signal of a strong station might overpower a weaker one. You’ll hear this as competing stations on the same frequency.