Q: What driving assist systems are present?

What driving assist systems are present?

A: Your car has a number of systems designed t...

Your car has a number of systems designed to provide assistance during specific types of driving and stopping. Each system works as part of the overall network, but is also at least somewhat independent. Here’s a rundown of the various driving assist systems on your vehicle:

• Antilock brakes: (ABS): ABS prevents you from locking your wheels up during certain hard stops.

• Brake assist: This system provides amplified power to the normal brakes if you’re “panic” stopping.

• Vehicle stability control (VSC): This system is designed to help prevent skidding during quick turns or slick driving conditions.

• Traction control (TRAC): The traction control system prevents the drive wheel from spinning in slippery driving conditions.

• Auto LSD: Present only on two-wheel drive models, the auto limited-slip differential (LSD) system works when traction control is turned off. It works to slow a spinning wheel by applying the brakes.

• Active torque control 4WD system: Only available on four-wheel drive models, this system automatically changes from front to four-wheel drive and back depending on road conditions.

• Electronic power steering (EPS): Your vehicle has an electronic power steering system rather than a hydraulic one.

• Enhanced vehicle stability control (EVSC): Works with the ABS, traction control and power steering system to provide better stability while driving in hazardous situations.

• Hill start assist (optional): Helps prevent rolling backward when starting the car on a hill.

• Downhill assist (optional): Helps in situations where steep downhill grades are present.