Q: What does the service AdvanceTrac® warning mean in the message center?

What does the service AdvanceTrac® warning mean in the message center?

A: AvanceTrac is the electronic stability cont...

AvanceTrac is the electronic stability control (ESC) system used in Ford vehicles. It may also be referred to as “traction control” or “vehicle dynamic control” is other vehicle models. This system monitors the steering stability of the vehicle and engages when skidding has been detected, or the loss of traction.

The AdvanceTrac system counteracts oversteering and understeering by reducing power and/or applying brakes to specific wheels. This is done by the use of electronic sensors that communicate with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) regarding steering performance and stability in adverse weather conditions. The are several components that are necessary for the AdvanceTrac system to work properly.

Anti-Lock Brake System-When/if the brakes lock up, this may cause a loss of control and the vehicle may slide. The anti-lock brake system prevents this from happening by preventing the brakes from locking up, as well as preventing oversteering and/or understeering when the vehicle starts to slide.

Traction Control System-The traction control system works by reducing engine speed and determining which wheel to apply brake pressure to in order to prevent the vehicle from sliding.

Electronic Sensors-The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) receives information from electronic sensors regarding the rotational speed of each wheel, the horizontal motion of the vehicle, and the vertical motion of the vehicle.

If the “service AdvanceTrac” warning indicator light comes on in the dashboard, this could be an indication of several issues.

• A faulty wheel-speed sensor
  • A faulty steering-angle sensor
  • A faulty rotational-speed sensor
  • An issue with the steering rack
  • Something that is lodged in one of the wheels
  • The AdvanceTrac system needs to be reprogrammed

If you need assistance diagnosing the service AdvanceTrac warning light, contact a certified techncian for help.