Q: What does it mean when there's black smoke coming from the exhaust?

There's black smoke coming from the exhaust

A: Hi there. Black smoke from the exhaust is a...

Hi there. Black smoke from the exhaust is an indication of excessive fuel consumption. This may be the result of excessive fuel pressure, caused by a faulty fuel pressure regulator, a very dirty engine air filter, a faulty MAF (mass airflow) sensor, incorrectly calculating the incoming air to the engine. I recommend having your vehicle's black smoke coming from the exhaust be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.