Q: What does it mean if the message center says “Check AWD” or “AWD Off?”

What does it mean if the message center says “Check AWD” or “AWD Off?”

If your Fusion is an all-wheel drive vehicle, you may see a message saying “Check AWD” or “AWD Off” come across the message center in the car. If the warning tells you that the system needs to be checked, it indicates that there’s a problem and you need to have the car inspected. If it says the all-wheel drive system is off, it means that the system has shut down automatically to avoid potentially causing itself damage. You’ll need to have it inspected and serviced before you can engage all-wheel drive again.

Tip

The “AWD Off” message is also displayed when you use the spare tire. The system can’t operate if the spare is on the car, so it shuts itself down. It will reinitiate when you have the regular tire and wheel mounted again, and the message will clear.

• What does it mean if the message center says “Check AWD” or “AWD Off?”