Q: Warning chime sounds at intermittent times while driving. No corresponding warning lights on dash.

I have a warning chime that has started to sound intermittently while I drive. It first started a few weeks ago, and it sounded like a sick bell. After awhile, it began sounding like a single "bong". Now it's "bong bong" when I drive, it's intermittent, but it's more often. It seems to be when the speedometer reaches between 25 and 40 mph. When I was on the highway yesterday for about 45 minutes, I did not hear it at all. But driving today in town, I kept hearing it. There are no corresponding dashboard lights to indicate that anything is wrong, and nothing has happened to indicate that something is failing in the car. Can anyone help? It's driving me nuts!

Hi there. If you have a V6 engine in your vehicle, you may have accidentally activated the HAC (hill-start assist control) feature by pressing hard on the brake pedal. A single beep announces that it has been activated. If the sound continues, then the HAC could be malfunctioning or there could be an issue with the system and needs attention. Warning sounds in vehicle’s warn the driver about issues that are not set or not working properly. There could be sounds for the following:

• Seat belt not hooked up when there is someone or something sitting in the seat
  • Door ajar - meaning a door is open but locked on the first click
  • Fluid levels are low and need filled up
  • Hill-start assist control not working properly or turning on and off
  • Low fuel indication
  • Daytime running lights not working properly or the system is turning on and off
  • Tire pressure indicator is reading a difference in tire pressure
  • trunk or tailgate is not shut all the way

If you need further assistance with your vehicle admitting a warning sound, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Warning chime sounds at intermittent times while driving. No corresponding warning lights on dash.