Q: What do the various Belt-Minder® warnings mean?

What do the various Belt-Minder® warnings mean?

A: Your car is equipped with what’s called the...

Your car is equipped with what’s called the Belt-Minder® system. It’s designed to monitor seat belt use in the front two seats. You may encounter a number of different warnings and messages depending on what belts are in use. Here’s what you should know:

• If the driver and passenger front belts are buckled before the engine is cranked, no warnings will be displayed.

• If the driver or passenger front belts are buckled after cranking the engine but before the car hit 3 MPH, the Seat Belt light comes on and the warning chime sounds.

• If the driver or passenger front belt is unbuckled while the car is going over 3 MPH, the warning light comes on and the chime will sound repeatedly. Buckling the belt back will shut off the chime and the light.