Q: 2006 Chevy Aveo CD player has error messages

asked by on August 14, 2017

i will put in a CD into my GM AM/FM/Single CD player, it will play 80% of them fine. Then it wont play 20% of them, I get an 'Error Message 7 or 9' The radio switches over to the radio, and the cd doesnt play. I scrub it clean,and it wont play. I put in another CD that DIDNT have the Error Message the day before, and then it has it! OR a few minutes later, it shows the message on a CD it just played. But ones it wont play, no matter how dirty or clean they are, all i get is the Error Messages. if the CD is 'dirty, it will actually play it sometimes. Seems the cleaner it is, the less the chance it will play the CD. This is with bought CDs or CDs I made myself. what are these Error Messages?

In most cases, an error message means either the disc is scratched or player has an internal failure. From my past experience with CDs, I recall scratched CDs will read sometimes, but not all the time. I would try a known good CD - one that is completely free of dust, scratches or other impurities. See if the problem continues. If it does, the CD player will need to be replaced, as these units are not serviceable. A professional, such as one from YourMechanic, can fix your radio problem for you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr