Q: Rear brakes overheating

When I got out of my car the other day, I smelled burning coming from both of my rear rotors. They were so hot I could actually feel heat coming off of them. I replaced the rotors, but they are still overheating. I tried taking everything apart again, cleaned everything up, and re-lubed the calipers and pins since the pins seemed to be sticking a little. Now, the driver side rear is better, but the passenger side is still getting really hot. Since the pin on that side still felt like it was sticking, I put in a brand new caliper bracket with new pins. Since that didn't help, I asked a dealer for advice. After looking over the car, they said they couldn't find any problems with the brakes or braking parts. I'm lost. Could a master cylinder or other part of the braking system be causing this?

A: For proper diagnosis, this issue should be ...

For proper diagnosis, this issue should be diagnosed firsthand by a professional, such as one from YourMechanic.

It could be that one of the calipers is sticking or there is a problem with the ABS system. The problem could also be with parking brakes system, which involves shoes that push out against the rotors. It could also be that your rotors are getting hot because you’re braking harder than usual (for example doing a lot of driving up and down hills).

A brake inspection will reveal the root cause of the problem.