Q: What Dangers Are Caused by Hanging Things From the Rearview Mirror?

What dangers are caused by hanging things from the rearview mirror?

The first danger that should be considered is the fact that items on the rearview mirror are a distraction. Depending on the object they can partly obscure your view. Visibility is a main concern as well as depending on the size of the object your field of view can be greatly impacted.

Some items that are hung will reflect sunlight and can cause glare that can impede your vision or others around or behind you. Larger objects will put stress on the mirror mount and can cause the mount to become detached from the windshield. This can result in requiring the mount to be reglued to the windshield. If the mirror breaks when it fall off, it will require a replacement of the mirror assembly which can be more expensive.

With the addition of the auto dimming mirrors or mirrors which also include compasses and integrated backup cameras or temperature displays, the broken mirror can become quite expensive to replace. I haven’t even touched on the possible wiring issues that could arise with these electronically controlled mirrors as it is possible for the wiring to be damaged as well when the mirror detaches and this could result in needing to have a harness replaced or repaired as well.

So safety is the first concern, followed by weight, and then the cost of repairs which could be incurred if the mirror becomes detached or broken. Stop and take a good look at your field of vision since a rule of the road is being away of your surroundings and watching out for other drivers. With more vehicles on the road than ever before, clear sightlines are critical in today’s world for safe travel on the road.

3. What Dangers Are Caused by Hanging Things From the Rearview Mirror?