Q: What could cause my brakes to stick and smoke heated? Master cylinder was recently replaced bench bled and brakes were bled.

asked by on March 25, 2018

What could cause my brakes to stick and smoke (overheat creating a strong disturbing scent)? My master cylinder was recently replaced bench bled and brakes were bled. Could it be the master cylinder making them stick or the calipers? I never had my brakes seize and smoke like this before. Before replacing the master cylinder, I would have to press on my brake pedal (spongy) to the floor for it to stop completely. I had my brakes flushed 4 times within a year because the mechanics told me it may just be air in the lines but soon after the maintenance my brakes would become spongy again, so then I believed it to be a problem with my master cylinder. Now that I replaced that part this problem is occurring. Please help.

There is typically an adjustment to the push rod on the master cylinder that must be performed at installation of a new master cylinder to insure that the brake booster is not in constant contact with the push rod, thus keeping the brakes constantly applied. That would be the first thing to check as it is the most likely cause of what you are describing. The adjustment procedure and the specification, that is the clearance, is set forth in the Factory Service Manual. If the push rod is not the issue, the remainder of the causes are mundane: the caliper(s) is stuck, the sliding pins are stuck or there is an internal restriction, typically within a flexible rubber hose, that prevents release of applied hydraulic pressure once you take your foot off of the brake pedal. If you want the required diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a brake system diagnostic/repair and the mechanic will get this resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.