Q: What could be wrong with my car after slight impact and antilock light comes on? 1995 BMW 525i

I recently spun out on the road and hit a muddy ditch. Once I had it towed, while in route we could smell the brakes (maybe parking brake because that's what it smelled like). The parking brake was not up though. We even tried pulling it up and putting it back down. When I checked the dash the antilock light was on. I was able to drive the car because I had to rearrange it so the tow truck could get to it, but not far enough to tell if it drove any different. I don't know if the impact shifted something underneath or if it's mud stuck underneath. Or maybe something else.

Hello - there are a couple of possibilities here. You may not have noticed, but quite likely the anti-skid brake system (ABS) was energized during your skid. This may have caused one of the valves in the system to stick, locking or causing drag on one of the brakes and wheels. Going into a muddy ditch no doubt caused mud to lodge in the wheel speed sensor on one or two of the wheels as well - sensors critical to the ABS system. The ABS system needs further examination to determine the fault, and needed correction. I would recommend a ABS system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to the cars location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• What could be wrong with my car after slight impact and antilock light comes on? 1995 BMW 525i