Q: What causes my car to jerk while accelerating?

Within the past month or so, my car has started to jerk. At first it was every once in a while, at random moments. Now it jerks when I accelerate. I was told it may be my spark plugs, but my engine light has never turned on. I haven't gotten it checked yet, the dealership has about a 3-4 week wait. (Also, my brake lights recently turned on, could that be a cause?)

Hi there:

There are multiple reasons why your Mini Cooper is running rough and jerking. If your car jerks while the vehicle is in gear, the issues could be caused by a mass air flow sensor, O2 sensor or the throttle body that could be clogged with excess carbon build-up. To know for certain what’s causing the jerking issue, have one of our local mechanics complete an engine is running rough inspection.