Q: What are the two modes of operation for seat belts?

What are the two modes of operation for seat belts?

You might think that your seat belts only lock down during an emergency – a collision, for instance. That’s true, but only partially. Your seat belts actually offer two modes of operation. These are emergency locking retractor (ELR) and automatic locking retractor (ALR).

• ELR: Emergency locking retractor mode is what we’re most familiar with – the retractor locks during an impact, helping to keep you safer.

• ALR: Automatic locking retractor mode is different, and designed to help secure car seats during installation. The only way to unlock the retractor from this mode is to unlatch it from the buckle.

Only use automatic locking retractor mode when you’re installing a car seat.

3. What are the two modes of operation for seat belts?