Q: What are the seat belt locking modes?

What are the seat belt locking modes?

A: While you might think that your seat belts ...

While you might think that your seat belts are only designed to work in one way, they actually have two locking modes. The driver front seat only works in what’s called “vehicle sensitive mode”, but the front passenger and all the rear seat belts have two modes.

Vehicle sensitive mode is the normal operation for your seat belts. The shoulder belt only locks in response to sudden movements. Otherwise, it’s free to extend and retract as normal. Automatic locking mode is different. You can actually lock the shoulder belt so that it will not extend.

Tip

Automatic locking mode should be used with child safety seats to ensure they’re locked in place correctly.