Q: What all is involved in changing the water pump on my 2004 Nissan xterra

Do you have to remove the timing belts to change the water pump

Hello. Yes you will have to access and remove the timing belts to change the water pump. These need to be changed at the same time and you will be able to find many kits that include the timing belt and water pump together. When they fail, they typically fail together. Its recommended that they be replaced every 100,000-150,000 miles depending on driving conditions and typical operating load. After accessing the pump, and removing the chain and hoses associated with the pump, it is a pretty straight forward swap. Make sure both joining surfaces are clean. This is also a good time to flush the system if you feel the need. Make sure you top the vehicle back off with the recommended coolant. Also make sure you follow any torque specs given.

• What all is involved in changing the water pump on my 2004 Nissan xterra