Q: Oil steam exhaust pipe

asked by on September 15, 2016

Sometimes when I start my car it blows oil out of the exhaust pipe. Not all of the time though. And sometimes it’s steam, and I'm losing water, too. I have to put water in the radiator all of the time to keep it full. These 2 problems happen at startup only. It runs like a Pro once the cylinder has burned out the oil or water. I thought the only way for water to get into a cylinder is a blown head gasket or cracked block. And that the only way oil can get in is through the rings or valves seats. I started my car yesterday, and I didn't have any burn off. Then I drove 5 miles to the post office. When I started it up 15 minutes later it overflowed the post office parking lot with steam. Do you know what’s wrong with my car and how I can fix it? Thanks.

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1991 Geo Storm. After your comment about flooding the parking lot with steam, this symptom leads me to believe you may have a failed head gasket. A failure in this seal will allow coolant to leak into the combustion chamber once the cooling system is pressurized. Hire a professional technician to diagnose the problem personally and estimate the proper repair. A technician from YourMechanic can come inspect your vehicle and suggest the necessary repairs.