Q: Water was spilled in the trunk which soaked the car battery. Car won't start now. Does water destroy a car battery?

asked by on August 26, 2016

I was on a road trip with some friends and bought a bottle of water and put it in the trunk. I forgot about that bottle of water and a few days later I got a call from a friend that the cap came off the water bottle while it was in the trunk and now the car won't start. Because the battery is in the trunk, the theory is that the water destroyed the battery, which is why the car won't start. Now I'm being asked to buy a new battery. I'd love to know if water can destroy a car battery or what other possibilities might be.
My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hi, thanks for writing in about the concern with the BMW 320i. If the battery was submerged in water then it’s completely possible for the battery to short out and die. Your friend will need to have the battery replaced. Also be sure to get all of the water out of the trunk. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, help you guys out if you need assistance with replacing the battery. Good luck.