Q: Oil pressure - 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

asked by on October 13, 2016

recently my oil pressure has been bottoming out and i have changed the pressure switch and oil filter and even did an oil change. nothing is helping

Oil level is low Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello and thanks for your question. If your oil pressure gauge is showing low pressure all the time with the engine running, then the gauge may be faulty. If your oil pressure gauge is showing low at idle and when you throttle the engine up the oil pressure rises, then the problem could be either a oil pump failing or the bearings in the engine could be worn out to cause a mass internal oil leak.

Get a mechanical oil pressure gauge check tool and put it into an oil gallery port. Start the engine and check the oil pressure manually to see what the engine is producing. If the oil pressure is normal, then the gauge is failing. If the engine has low oil pressure and rises when throttled, then you probably have a pump failing or the engine needs new bearings. I recommend having a professional diagnose the oil pressure problem and let you know what repair is needed.