Q: Water pump failure....how could it have been prevented? 2004 Toyota Sienna

is it worth it to replace the water pump, or is too much damage done to the engine already (driving those 5 min)...sm amt of white smoke rose out from under the hood....did NOT attempt to restart the car...although the tow truck did & it started, drove out of driveway, to tow truck, Is there too much damage to the engine??? also have some sm amt of valve rattle????

Hi there - it is hard to know what damage may have been done to your engine if it was operated in an overheated condition for 5 minutes. A blown headgasket is a likely result, in addition to the failing water pump, and it’s possible other damage was done as well. A thorough engine inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose damage done by this event, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs. Water pumps are a normal "wearing" item (normally 100K miles or so), and eventual failure should be expected.

3. Water pump failure....how could it have been prevented? 2004 Toyota Sienna