Q: Water pump failure....how could it have been prevented? 2004 Toyota Sienna

is it worth it to replace the water pump, or is too much damage done to the engine already (driving those 5 min)...sm amt of white smoke rose out from under the hood....did NOT attempt to restart the car...although the tow truck did & it started, drove out of driveway, to tow truck, Is there too much damage to the engine??? also have some sm amt of valve rattle????

3. Water pump failure....how could it have been prevented? 2004 Toyota Sienna