Q: Water leaking from pillar sunroof drain into passenger footwell

Hello, so I have a 98 bmw 540i and noticed water leaking into my passenger side footwell via tiny open area next to the glovebox. Upon further inspection found that passenger pillar, if pulled back a little to see contents there was a tube for a drain from sunroof I’m guessing but then water started dripping from the area I had pulled back. Making me think the sunroof drain to the wheel well is somehow clogged or disconnected.So does YourMechanic fix these type of water issues? And what would a repair estimate on the low and high side look like? What inspection would it be under?

Yes, diagnosing the leak and implementing the required repairs is no problem and is a fully covered service. To request that service, you can schedule via YourMechanic’s leak diagnostic service page. If the drain tube is readily accessible, I can’t imagine the cost to repair would be particularly high. Also, inasmuch as the diagnostic and repairs are performed on a mobile basis, there are inherent cost savings. Basically, something like this would be billed on a time and materials basis. Once the exact cause of the leak is pinpointed, the responding mechanic can give you a precise, firm estimate but I think without seeing it it would be impossible to give you an accurate range. A complexity is it is unclear how much disassembly will be required. The starting and end points of the drain have to be determined to ensure the leak is actually fully resolved. It is unknown if the drain tube is broken and it is also unknown if the entire tube will have to be replaced. A course for you is to request the inspection and you will certainly have precise information once that is complete. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.