Q: Check Engine Light staying on

When starting my car first thing, it takes two or three tries to get it started. Once it is started, the Check Engine Light stays on while I am driving. I replaced the top radiator hose and I need to replace the bottom hose as well. Only one of the two radiator fans is working. In addition, my power steering fluid is leaking, so I need to see about fixing that, and see if I have any other issues I need to have attended.

A: Your engine may need a tune up. Your engine...

Your engine may need a tune up. Your engine, in addition to spark plugs and wires, also has a distributor cap and rotor that need to be replaced as part of a tune up. Commonly, over time, the metal parts of the cap and rotor will corrode. This degrades their ability to effectively transfer the spark to your spark plugs and wires. Once these are replaced, your starting issues should be alleviated. I would ask for help from one of the mechanics at YourMechanic. They can help diagnose the cause of your Check Engine Light being illuminated, look into your starting issue, as well as your other concerns, so your car can be in good working order again.