Q: Was told I needed to replace the catalyst converter, now car won't start at all help? ??

asked by on February 01, 2016

We had it towed to a guy that did work on it before for us with the new catalyst converter in box brand new. He said he cut into the pipe in front of the catalyst converter an it was still making the pipe red hot... Next thing I know the car won't start so they replaced the starter, an spark plugs. The car still won't start they have had it over a week so I said at this point I'm done bring it back. Supposed to be towed back today... anyone have any ideas on what to do next? ??

The engine may be having an issue with the crankshaft sensor and crankshaft damper. The sensor may be the reason of the no start. The crankshaft damper is known to come apart and could damage the sensor behind it. I recommend you have your engine checked for proper spark and fuel pressure. If you lost spark then the crank sensor may be the cause. If you lost fuel pressure then the fuel pump and filter may be bad. The reason the pipes turn red hot is because of two possible things that can cause it. The catalyst converter is clogged or the engine is getting too much fuel and what the engine cannot burn ignites in the exhaust and turns the pipe red hot. The exhaust can be checked by disconnecting the pipe and see if the engine starts. The fuel pressure too high can cause the excessive fuel in engine. The best recommendation is to have a certified mechanic like one from YourMechanic come and diagnose why your car will not start.